Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Switching Majors?

My opinion on this changes every day.

I am (right now) majoring in History Teaching. My adviser suggested that I think about switching to Teaching Social Sciences. I am now thinking about it every day. I can't escape it.

In the grand scheme of things, I understand that this will not significantly effect my life as a whole- especially since it is such a subtle change. I admit that I am a bit afraid to switch. Though everyone says not to be.

Mom says that I shouldn't switch- because she feels that I should stick to what I care most about. But really what I care most about (when it comes to my career) is teaching at all. I love the social sciences (though out of them, history is my favorite). Mom also says that being specific to teaching will make me more impressive and better qualified. Teachers that I have talked to say that I am more hire-able if I can teach a variety of subjects. With my English teaching minor and Teaching Social Sciences I can teach:

any High School English class
US History
World History
World Geography
Human Geography
Psychology
Sociology
Government
and Economics.


Right now I want to switch. Though if I do, there is the matter of a senior thesis, which for history majors (like me right now) is certain. I understand it a little, and we all take part in a similar project. If I switch what shall become of me four years from now? I guess I can take whatever they throw at me.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment